Gabby

I never saw anyone as beautiful as Gabby
I have written many poems about her but none of
them do her any justice, they
just seem to absorb into the paper
every time I write them.
As if there was never anything that could encapsulate her.
She is a girl that I have never been jealous of
that I have never envied or disliked or been displeased with.
A sister fairer and more gentle than I.
A blood kin, to me, more like a daughter
Than a sister, if words could ever mean as much.

I never looked at the video my Mother sent to the entire family.
Of Gabby's torticollis spams.
the ones that made her voice go funny, slow,
where she cannot control her head or neck movements
and she falls over.
Gabby told me, recently, it was when she was bathing in the lush body bombs, the ones I had bought her while away on holiday,
that is when her first attack happened.
I was so angry when my mother told me
her wife was the one that got her out of the tub, not her.
I guess it is unfair of me now when I think of it, to be so mad.
I just thought it should have been my mother not a strange woman I have never met, to be the one to hold Gabby, but I could not look at the video.
So i am not sure if that makes me much better.

But I never said she sounded like Gilbert Grape, like my mother did.
Our beautiful Gabby. She still smiles now, you know.

Comments

Popular Posts