Gene

i was watching old Gene Wilder interviews
the ones about his mother peeing in her pants
her heart cracked, him needing her to laugh
how his whole existence was bred
from what her doctor had said to him
when he was only six
but he picked up most of his act
from his fathers perspective on life his
innocent, naive nature the world turning
inside out to drive him into imagination
i thought his words were clever; the cigarette
which later led to his lymphoma reminded me of me
he said he wrote a shit screenplay in paris
while he was lonely, it turned out to be a better story
which 35 years later was published out of new york
Gene is a dream for me, who i see myself as
who i wish to be, i do take heed to his words
to be careful what you wish for cause you
might just get it
seems to be the mantra now as I'm in Paris
writing my screenplay
on my way back to new york; on foodstamps like him;

Comments

Popular Posts